An 8″ helical pipe pile was originally specified to achieve the load and deal with lateral and corrosion concerns. This foundation solution proved too costly so Danbro suggested a Grouted Helical Micropile to obtain capacity and eliminate design issues.After a successful load test and test pile,122 Grouted Helical Micropiles were installed to support the five story apartment building.
- Helical Pile Type: 3500.300 Wall Helical Piles with a 10″ Grout Displacement Plate
- # of Helical Piles: 122
- Location: Quincy, MA
- Installation Depth: 45′ to 60′
- Ultimate Pile Capacity: 80 kips
- Equipment Used: Hitachi Excavator, 20K Drive Marian Torque Indicator
- Challenge/Unique Aspect: A Grouted Helical Micropile generates significant capacity from skin friction on the rough, irregular grout column. Grout is a less expensive material and it helps to achieve higher capacity at a lower cost per kip. To further speed the installation and control cost, IDEAL, the helical manufacturer, welded the digger plate onto the extensions at the factory. This saved a lot of time during the installation giving the contractor a significant edge when bidding the project.