An elevator was being added to an existing building in Ocean City, Maryland. Due to weak soils in the area, a deep foundation was required. Access was extremely limited and the contractor had to work from a barge in the canal reaching over 50′ to reach the elevator pit.
- Helical Pile Type: 1.75″ square shaft
- # of Helical Piles: 4
- Location: Ocean City, MD
- Installation Depth: 15′ to 20′
- Ultimate Pile Capacity: 50 Kips
- Equipment Used: Samsung Excavator, Digga 9 ADS, Digital Torque Indicator
- Challenge/Unique Aspect: Vibration was verboten! Access was a major challenge. Mobilization took longer than the install. The installation had to be conducted from a barge using a Marsh Buggie with a 50′ arm to reach the elevator pit. This was the only piling system that could overcome all these obstacles, achieve the required load, and be able to form concrete on the piles, all in the same day.
- General Contractor/Installer: Murtech Marine