Phase 1 of the “Direct Connect” highway improvement project to the intersection of I-295 and the Route 42 Freeway in New Jersey required temporary tiebacks for steel sheeting retaining soil under the I-295 on-ramp. Access was limited and the installation had to minimize disturbance to one of the busiest highway intersections in the country. Soil conditions and simplified, quick load tests convinced Conti and NJ DOT to switch from grouted anchors to helicals.
- Helical Pile Type: SS 175
- # of Helical Piles: 17
- Location: Mount Ephraim , NJ
- Installation Depth: 45 Feet
- Load: 110 Kips
- Equipment Used: Excavator with 12K Drive head
- Challenge/Unique Aspect: Soft clays, limited access, busy site and the ease/speed of testing were overcome with the switch from grouted anchors to helicals.
- Engineer/Owner: NJ Department of Transportation
- General Contractor/Installer: Conti Enterprises