A new three story apartment building was being constructed in North Philadelphia, not far from Temple University’s main campus. Due to weak soils a deep foundation was required. Helical piles were selected to meet the projects demanding timeline as they were readily available, and were quicker to install than other piling systems.
- Helical Pile Type: RS 2875.276 Wall Helical Piles with an 8,10,12 helical configuration
- # of Helical Piles: 160
- Location: Philadelphia, PA
- Installation Depth: 28′ to 35′
- Ultimate Pile Capacity: 80 Kips
- Equipment Used: 12K Drivehead, Digital Torque Indicator, Whacker Neuson Excavator
- Challenge/Unique Aspect: Cement masons formed up the grade beams, footings and pile caps prior to the installation contractor arriving on site. Helicals are installed with small, low-impact maneuverable equipment so the piles could be installed inside of the pre formed areas allowing concrete placement immediately thereafter.
- Engineer/Architect: Gencorelli Engineering