NIH was adding modular units to increase virus testing facilities. Due to existing buildings on a crowded campus housing sensitive instruments and equipment, a low impact, non-invasive/no-vibration deep foundation was required. In addition to the 100 piles supporting the new modular units, 54 new construction piles were installed in the interior of existing buildings to reinforce there foundations.
- Helical Pile Type: RS3500.203 & RS2845.203 &1.5″ Square Shaft
- Location: Bethesda, MD
- # of Helical Piles: 154
- Installation Depth: 20′ to 30′
- Equipment Used: Yanmar Excavator with 20K Eskridge 20K Drivehead & Yanmar Vi035 w/Eskridge 8K Drivehead
- Challenge/Unique Aspect: Limited access on the busy, crowded campus required small low-impact equipment to be used for the installation. No-vibration helical piles also alleviated concerns for sensitive instrumentation and equipment.
- Danbro Installer: Levelift Foundations LLC
- General Contractor: Satellite Shelters, Inc.