North East Foundation and Concrete performed conventional concrete underpinning on a large building in Mount Joy Pennsylvania. Due to the exposed depth of the underpinning pits, the design engineer recommended tiebacks through the underpinning pit to help retain it laterally.
- Helical Pile Type: 1.5″ Square Shaft 8,10 Helical Configuration
- # of Helical Piles: 16
- Location: Mount Joy, PA
- Installation Depth: 25′
- Ultimate Pile Capacity: 20 kips
- Equipment Used: Mini Excavator, Drive Head, Marian Torque Indicator
- Challenge/Unique Aspect: A unique aspect to this project and system, was that the same excavator used to dig out the underpinning pit was able to install the tiebacks by simply disconnecting the bucket and switching to the hydraulic drive head to install the tiebacks. This eliminated extra machines, equipment and mobilizations. This saved the installation contractor and the general contractor time and money.
- Engineer/Architect: Pierce Engineering