An excavation in Lancaster, PA needed shoring. The engineers designed a system utilizing helical piles with underpinning brackets to secure the foundation and welded steel plates to the helical extension shafts to retain the soil.
- Helical Pile Type: RS 2875.276 Wall
- # of Helical Piles: 8
- Location: Lancaster, PA
- Installation Depth: 30′
- Ultimate Pile Capacity: 50 kips
- Equipment Used: Takeuchi Excavator, 12K drive head, Marian Torque Indicator
- Challenge/Unique Aspect: Timing and speed drove the decision to use helicals. The piles and underpinning brackets were installed in one day while the steel plates were welded onto the shafts the following day. Excavation began the third day, a much quicker turn around compared to conventional shoring methods.
- General Contractor: Wohlsen Construction