A seven story apartment building in Brookline, Massachusetts was built on poor soils and has been settling for the past 100 years. The owners decided to completely repair the entire foundation. Mini Piles were installed for the majority of the project; however, for locations where the drill rig couldn’t reach, like the Elevator pit, helicals were installed using hand-held equipment.
- Helical Pile Type: RS 3500.300 Wall
- # Helical Piles: 3
- Location: Brookline, MA
- Installation Depth: 30′
- Ultimate Pile Capacity: 30 Kips
- Equipment Used: Handheld, Portable Equipment
- Challenge/Unique Aspect: A unique aspect of this job was that the contractor was able to brace the hand-held torque bar off of Mini Pile Casing that was already installed or a very thick concrete slab from the elevator pit, making it a very safe installation.
- Engineer/Architect: McPhail Associates