The US Naval Academy was in the process of adding a second story to the Terwilliger Center which is located next to the football field. Weak soils required a deep foundation to support the column footings. Helical piles were selected since they were vibration free and could achieve the load without damaging the existing building.
- Helical Pile Type: 2875.203 Pipe Material
- # of Helical Piles: 133
- Location: Annapolis, MD
- Installation Depth: 65-80 Feet
- Ultimate Pile Capacity: 70 KIPS
- Challenge/Unique Aspect: All the work on this project needed to be done inside an existing building. Small ,non-intrusive, no-vibation, equipment was required and 5′ or 7′ pile segments to deal with overhead restrictions.
- General Contractor: Manhattan Construction