Southwest Airlines was adding six new jet bridges for arriving and departing flights at Ronald Reagan Airport in D.C. Helicals were used to support the foundation for the bridges while mitigating construction site issues at the busy airport.
- Helical Pile Type: 4500.337 Wall
- # of Helical Piles: 38
- Location: Arlington, VA
- Installation Depth: 45′ – 70′
- Ultimate Pile Capacity: 117 Kips
- Equipment Used: Cat 314 Excavator, Digga 30 ADS, Digital Torque Indicator
- Challenge/Unique Aspect: Helical piles were chosen to eliminate vibration concerns during the installations. The ability to quickly demobilize (for arriving flights) and re-mobilize and no spoils all combined to steer this project to helicals.
- General Contractor: Whiting-Turner