Reconstruction of 430 feet of Opal Street in North Philadelphia required replacing an aging 18 inch diameter sanitary sewer. Helical piles were selected over driven timber piles due to the adjacent vibration sensitive structures, utilities and very tight construction area.Opal Street is only 30 feet wide (house to house line)including a 14-foot cart way and two 8-foot sidewalks.
- Helical Pile Type: roundshaft 3.5″
- # of Helical Piles: 55
- Location: Philadelphia, PA
- Installation Depth: 12-17 Feet
- Equipment Used: Installation of the vibration freepiles were completed using a mini-excavator.
- Challenge/Unique Aspect: vibration sensitive structure; tight construction area– Opal St was only 30 ft wide
- Engineer/Architect: Philadelphia Water Department
- General Contractor: Commissioned by Philadelphia Water Department