Reconstruction of 430 feet of Opal Street in North Philadelphia required replacing an aging 18″ diameter sanitary sewer. Helical piles were selected over driven timber piles due to the adjacent vibration sensitive structures, utilities, and very tight construction area. Opal Street is only 30′ wide (house to house line) including a 14′ cart way and two 8′ sidewalks.
- Helical Pile Type: 3.5″ Pipe Pile
- # of Helical Piles: 55
- Location: Philadelphia, PA
- Installation Depth: 12′ – 17′
- Equipment Used: Installation of the vibration freepiles were completed using a mini-excavator.
- Challenge/Unique Aspect: vibration sensitive structure; tight construction area– Opal St was only 30′ wide
- Engineer/Architect: Philadelphia Water Department
- General Contractor: Commissioned by Philadelphia Water Department