A new overhead aeration line was constructed to replace a leaking underground pipeline at the Northeast Water Pollution Control Plant. Loads on the two major footings ranged from 227 to 756 kips. Subsurface conditions consisted of miscellaneous fill and loose to medium dense, very fine to medium silty sand to a depth of 20′.
- Helical Pile Type: 1.75″ Square Shaft
- # of Helical Piles: 24
- Location: Philadelphia, PA 19137
- Installation Depth: 31.5′
- Challenge/Unique Aspect: A stiff silt was encountered beneath the sand. Groundwater was encountered approximately 12′ below the ground surface.
- Engineer/Architect: Malcolm Pirnie
- Geotechnical: Underwood Engineering Company
- General Contractor: C&T Associates
- Owner: Philadelphia Water Dept.