Three modular buildings on the Massachusetts Institute of Technology campus needed to be relocated and helical piles were selected to provide foundation support.
- Helical Pile Type: 2875″.203 Pipe Piles
- # of Helical Piles: 48
- Location: Cambridge, MA
- Installation Depth: 20′
- Equipment Used: Caterpillar 205 with a 12K drive head and a digital torque Indicator
- Challenge/Unique Aspect: An old brick foundation was encountered at the new site 4′ below grade. The old foundation needed to be demolished and the helicals installed through the subsurface brick/trash layer.
- Engineer/Architect: Frank Harrigan from Vanaria & Sons
- General Contractor: Michalczvk Modular