The bio firm had a facility that was slated for equipment upgrades for quality control laboratories. The underlining slab needed to be reinforced before it could be used. A fill layer existed under the slab and extended 15 FEET below the surface. The slab would require pile supports. Due to low headroom clearance issues and sensitive laboratory vibration concerns, a helical pile foundation system was the support of choice. The slab was cored and the helical piles were installed with construction caps to support the new equipment.
- Helical Pile Type: SS175 & RS3500
- # of Helical Piles: 8
- Location: Alston, MA
- Installation Depth: 25-30 Feet
- Equipment Used: Klemm 703 w/ 12k drivehead
- Challenge/Unique Aspect: An electric mini-pile rig was retooled for helical pile installation due to height restrictions limiting traditional helical pile installation equipment.
- Engineer/Architect: Jacobs Engineering
- General Contractor: Gilbane Construction