Helical piles were required to support a pedestrian bridge. Each abutment was design with two pile caps, each with three piers per cap.
- Helical Pile Type: RS2875.203
- # of Helical Piles: 12
- Location: Fairfax, VA
- Installation Depth: 15′
- Ultimate Pile Capacity: 25 Kips
- Equipment Used: Bobcat excavator, Prodig X12K5 Drive Head
- Challenge/Unique Aspect: Both abutments were completed in one day. Mobilization drove the decision to use helicals. Small equipment was used to install the piles. The material was loaded onto a pick up truck and trailer and transported from one abutment location to the next area. The first abutment piles were installed in the morning. Then the machine was loaded and transported to the other side of the creek and the other abutment was installed in the afternoon.
- Engineer/Architect: ECS Engineering