A substation was adding a large generator to its complex and needed a deep foundation to support the generator pad. Helicals were selected as they can be used in tension and compression and mitigate or eliminate site and safety concerns.
- Helical Pile Type: 1.75″ square shaft grouted helical micropiles
- # of Helical Piles: 60
- Location: Dorchester, MA
- Installation Depth: 75′
- Ultimate Pile Capacity: 90 Kips
- Equipment Used: Volvo Excavator, Digital Torque Indicator, cement mixer
- Challenge/Unique Aspect: Soft, expansive clay soils, required a deep foundation system. Site and safety concerns made helicals the logical choice.
- Engineer/Architect: Mcphail Associates
- General Contractor: Bond Brothers