A pump station was being rebuilt in Woodmere New York. The plans originally called for Auger Cast piles for the foundation. However, the contractor wanted to self perform the pile work and worked with the engineer to value engineered the project to substitute STELCOR drilled-in displacement micropiles. They were working in a sheeted cofferdam which also factored into the choice of STELCOR as this piling system did not require multiple mobilizations.
- Helical Pile Type: STELCOR
- # of Helical Piles: 20
- Location: Woodmere, NY
- Installation Depth: 35′
- Ultimate Pile Capacity: 60 KIP in Compression, 40 KIP in tension, 8 KIP in Lateral
- Equipment Used: HITACHI excavator and 70K Excavator
- Challenge/Unique Aspect: A STELCOR drilled-in displacement micropile pile can be install after a cofferdam is sheeted and excavated. Compare this to an auger cast pile where you need to remove parts of it as you dig down. Stelcor also has little to no spoils compared to an auger cast pile which can create a real mess.
- Engineer/Architect: Gencorelli Engineering
- General Contractor: Phillip Ross Industries Inc.