Brookhaven National Labs in Upton, NY is home to one of the largest solar farms in the Eastern United States. The 200 acre solar farm on Long Island,was constructed by BP Solar and the Long Island Power Authority on the campus of Brookhaven Labs. It produces 32 megawatts of power, enough to power 4,500 homes. A total of 13,000 helicals support 164,000 solar panels across the site.
- Helical Pile Type: 6″ Pipe Piles
- # of Helical Piles: 13,000
- Location: Brookhaven, NY
- Installation Depth: Varied 20′ to 35′
- Equipment Used: Various Excavators
- Challenge/Unique Aspect: Helicals can be installed with small, minimally invasive equipment and create little to no spoils. Soil conditions varied across the 200 acre site. Helicals react to the shear strength of the soil and are installed to specific torque values insuring that the proper depth and loads were achieved across a large and diverse site.
- Engineer/Architect: Design: Centerpoint Engineering Geotechnical: NTH Consultants
- General Contractor: Will Bros Hawkeye