The original boardwalk foundation design called for concrete piles, but it was determined that they would be too expensive. The Asbury Park City Engineer, Joe Cunha, P.E., C.M.E, worked with DANBRO to come up with a cost-and-time-saving alternative. In the aftermath of Superstorm Sandy, helical foundation systems have been employed for post-Sandy reconstruction and restoration, house raising, and home elevation projects.
- Helical Pile Type: 1.75” Square Shaft with steel casing
- # of Helical Piles: 264
- Location: Asbury Park, NJ 07712
- Installation Depth: 35 feet
- Equipment Used: Yanmar Excavator
- Challenge/Unique Aspect: Proximity to existing bulkhead and storefronts requires a non-intrusive, no vibration deep foundation element. Predrilling the and getting the pile to the necessary depth in dense beach sand.
- Engineer/Architect: Joe Cunha PE & Mike Blendy PE
- General Contractor: South Jersey Helical Piers