Danbro Distributors assisted the engineer, Jeffrey Havelin, PE, in recommending an economical solution for preserving the original foundation. 1 1/2″ square shaft helical piles (with underpinning brackets) were used to support and anchor the existing foundation for the newly elevated structures. New construction piles were also required for the interior of the raised buildings. Saving the existing foundation and the ability to work underneath the structures, between obstructions, proved to be a less intrusive approach in addition to the financial advantages.
- Helical Pile Type: SS5
- # Helical Piles: 39
- Location: Amityville, NY 17701
- Installation Depth: 30 feet
- Equipment Used: Mini Excavator w/ Digga 8K & 10K Driveheads
- Challenge/Unique Aspect: Terminations were especially challenging due to access issues. A high-water table, especially during high tide, required a dewatering system so the contractor, High Rise Construction, could gain access below the existing foundation to attach the brackets. The contractor also had to overcome mobilization challenges while working around the cribbing to install the interior new construction piles.
- Engineer/Architect: Jeffrey Havelin PE
- General Contractor/Certified Installer: High Rise Industries