A new plumbing supply warehouse was being built on the remote island of Nantucket and required a deep foundation with an ultimate capacity of 60 kips. Mobilization cost for timber piles was prohibitive.
- Helical Pile Type: 3500′.216 Pipe Piles
- # of Helical Piles: 69
- Location: Nantucket, MA
- Installation Depth: 35′-50′
- Equipment Used: Catapiller 305 with a 12K drivehead and a marian digital torque indicator
- Challenge/Unique Aspect: High mobilization cost for timber piles drove the decision to use helical piles. There was a dense layer of sand overlaying a layer of soft organic material. The contractor needed to pre-drill to get the helicals through the dense sand layer and then advanced them through the organic layer to reach a suitable bearing strata.
- Engineer/Architect: Gencorelli Engineering