A deep foundation element was needed for an addition to a row home in Brooklyn New York. The addition was in the rear of the building and it was impossible to get a drill rig back there. Vibratory concerns were also a major factor. The structural engineer recommended helical piles because of the vibration free installation as well the fact that there is specialized small equipment for installation.
- Helical Pile Type: 1.5″ Square Shaft with a 5 inch grout column
- # of Helical Piles: 6
- Location: Brooklyn, NY
- Installation Depth: 20-25 Feet
- Ultimate Pile Capacity: 28 Kips
- Equipment Used: Hand Held Equipment
- Challenge/Unique Aspect: Access was a major challenge for the equipment as well as the material. Both had to be transported through the house to access the back of the row home. The solution was to install the piles utilizing a hand-held installation set-up. A walk behind skid loader was staged out front and two 100 foot hydraulic hoses were run through the house to connect to the drive head to power it. All 6 piles were installed in one day.
- General Contractor: Persi Contracting Corp.