An old hotel was being retrofitted into a nursing home in Brooklyn Heights, New York. The retrofit required additional electrical duct banks to run through the first floor. In order to do that the engineer recommended A minimally invasive helical pile deep foundation system was used to support the columns and deal with the limited access.
- Helical Pile Type: 1.75″ Square Shaft with 8″ 10″ Lead Section
- # of Helical Piles: 50
- Location: Brooklyn Heights, NY
- Installation Depth: 25-30 Feet
- Ultimate Pile Capacity: 80 Kips
- Equipment Used: CAT 301 Excavator, 12K Drive Head
- Challenge/Unique Aspect: The piles were installed in the basement of the building and there was extremely limited access. The contractor removed the cab of a mini excavator and used 5 foot helical leads and extensions to deal with minimal headroom.
- General Contractor: Concrete Works Corp