Ten new homes were being constructed on 20th Street in South Philadelphia. Urban fill and unstable soils required a deep foundation. Helical piles were designed to support the grade beams and the residential structures.
- Helical Pile Type: 2875.203 Pipe Material
- # of Helical Piles: 300
- Location: Philadelphia, PA
- Installation Depth: 35′
- Ultimate Pile Capacity: 60 kips
- Equipment Used: Volvo Excavator, 10K Drive Head, Digital Torque Indicator
- Challenge/Unique Aspect: To speed the installation and stay on schedule, the contractor needed to pre-drill the first 8 feet at each pile location. This project was in an existing neighborhood so little noise and no vibration also drove the decision to use helicals.
- Installer: Vaspoli Builders Inc.