A new rock climbing facility was being built in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn. The geotechnical investigation indicated poor soils and required a deep foundation to support the new building. The existing exterior of the building was being retained for the look so there could no vibration during the install leading to the choice of helical piles.
- Helical Pile Type: RS 3500.300 Wall
- # of Helical Piles: 220
- Location: Brooklyn, NY
- Installation Depth: 40′-50′
- Ultimate Pile Capacity: 100 kips
- Equipment Used: Samsung Excavator, 30 K Drive, Marian Torque Indicator
- Challenge/Unique Aspect: Concerns for the existing structure required a safe and speedy installation. Helical are segmented piles and come in various lengths to accommodate overhead restrictions. None existed on this project, so it was done with 10 foot lengths. Using longer extensions required less down time to couple and bolt extensions and further abated vibration concerns.
- Engineer/Architect: Gencorelli Engineering
- General Contractor: Inspiron