A new apartment building was being constructed in Richmond, Virginia. Due to weak soils, high loads (for the new building), and vibration concerns, helical piles were selected as the deep foundation of choice. The first phase of the project required the contractor to stabilize an existing building with 8 underpinning piles. 47 new construction piles were installed for the new structure.
- Helical Pile Type: 1.5″ grouted helical micropiles & 2″ new construction grouted helical micropiles
- # of Helical Piles: 55
- Location: Richmond, VA
- Installation Depth: 45′ – 60′
- Ultimate Pile Capacity: 65 to 150 Kips
- Equipment Used: JCB 131 Excavator, Digital Torque Indicator
- Challenge/Unique Aspect: A colloidal mixer was mobilized on site, significantly increasing the amount of grout production versus a traditional barrel mixer. This enabled the contractor to install multiple piles at the same time, significantly ramping up production times.