A new road sign was being installed on the side of the Wantagh State Parkway and, due to poor soils (WOH to 15′), a deep foundation was required. The helical piles were in compression and tension and were selected to minimize site concerns.
- Helical Pile Type: 1.75″ Square Lead Transitioned to 3.5″ Pipe with a 8″ Grout Column
- # of Helical Piles: 40
- Location: Jones Beach State Park, NY
- Installation Depth: 35′
- Ultimate Pile Capacity: 80 Kips
- Equipment Used: Cat 315, Eskridge 77BA, Digital Torque Indicator
- Challenge/Unique Aspect: Helical piles minimize mobilization issues. On this project, one tractor trailer delivering the material and another for the excavator were on and off the site in 20 minutes. This freed up work space and minimized work closures. A larger machine with a powerful drivehead capable of more torque, further hastened the install.
- General Contractor: Soil Solutions