A former marina site,destroyed by Hurricane Sandy, was being converted into a residential housing development. Due to the close proximity to the water and weak soils, a deep foundation was required to reach a being strata that would support the load. No vibration, no spoils and minimally invasive helical piles were the piling of choice.
- Helical Pile Type: 1.5″ transitioning 2875.203 Wall Helical Piles
- # of Helical Piles: 30
- Location: Seaford, NY
- Installation Depth: 20 Feet
- Ultimate Pile Capacity: 30 Kips
- Equipment Used: Mini Excavator, 10K Drive Head, Digital Torque Indicator
- Challenge/Unique Aspect: Using a transition pile (1.5″ to square shaft to 2875 pipe) the contractor was able to use the KT value of the square shaft lead (10 to 1) to achieve the load sooner and shorten the length of each pile by 5 feet. This helical confiruration resulted in cost savings for the homeowner of what would have been an additional 150 linear feet of steel.
- General Contractor: Persi Contracting Corp.