General construction and renovations were necessary at the Port of Wilmington. Due to weak sandy/silty soils, tension anchors were required to tie down and support concrete pile caps. Helical piles were selected as the least intrusive, speediest option to mitigate operational concerns and delays at the busy Port.
- Helical Pile Type: RS 3500.300 with a 24,24,24,24 Helical configuration
- # of Helical Piles: 40
- Location: Wilmington, DE
- Installation Depth: 25′
- Ultimate Pile Capacity: 20 Kips
- Equipment Used: Caterpillar 315 Excavator, DIGGA 30ADS Drivehead
- Challenge/Unique Aspect: Helical piles come in segmented lengths of various sizes. Overhead was not an issue so the project was able to be completed with longer lengths of leads and extesions. This allowed the helical installer to complete there work quickly therefore allowing other subs to expidite their work as well.
- Engineer/Architect: Duffield Associates
- General Contractor: Corrado American LLC