New York/New Jersey Rail uses this Lift bridge transfer to deploy train cars across the Hudson. Conventional replacement with timber required partial dismantling of the bridge, special order piles and extended timeframe for the project. Grout filled helical pipe piles were installed to replace the existing timber piles that were decayed and failing. Helical piles were screwed into the ground and pile caps were poured and doweled into the structure.
- Helical Pile Type: 3.5″ Pipe Piles (grout filled)
- # Helical Piles: 10
- Location: Bayonne, NJ
- Installation Depth: 35 feet
- Equipment Used: Takeuchi Excavator
- Challenge/Unique Aspect: Working from a barge, a segmented helical piling system accommodated the limited overhead while eliminating the need to partially demolished the structure, significantly reducing the overall cost and timeframe for the project.
- Engineer/Architect: Joe Cunha PE & Mike Blendy PE
- General Contractor: South Jersey Helical Piers