New Permatrak boardwalk systems were utilized in expanding the Eisenhower Golf Course to facilitate golf carts and pedestrians crossing small creeks and marshy areas. Helical piles were selected as the deep foundation of choice due to minimally invasive installation and mobilization in this sensitive environment.
- Helical Pile Type: Round Shaft Pipe Piles – 2875.203 & 3500.300
- # of Helical Piles: 2875.203 – 124
3500.300 – 12
- Location: Crownsville, MD
- Installation Depth: 35′- 40′
- Ultimate Pile Capacity: 2875.203 – 50 Kips
3500.300 – 110 Kips
- Equipment Used: Takeuchi TB260 Excavator
- Challenge/Unique Aspect: An historically challenging aspect of using helicals for boardwalk systems is sourcing the specially designed new construction/saddle brackets. The tolerance from the helical, to the beam seat bracket, to the concrete decking is tight. This is particularly true of the Permatrack system with only an 1/8″ tolerance. The IDEAL Group was able to produce precision brackets in house and the entire order was shipped direct, on one truck instead of having to source the brackets seperately from another vendor.
- Engineer/Architect: Dissen & Juhn – Ray McMaster & Gencorelli Engineering
- General Contractor: Dissen & Juhn Company