Existing bulkheads were being ripped out and replaced in Avalon, New Jersey. In lieu of a dead-man system and in an effort to avoid driving timber piles in close proximity to residences, the engineer of record specified helical piles for tiebacks.
- Helical Pile Type: IDEAL 1.75″ Square Shaft
- # of Helical Piles: 11
- Location: Avalon, NJ
- Installation Depth: 35′ to 40′
- Ultimate Pile Capacity: 60 Kips
- Equipment Used: Caterpillar 312 Long Reach Excavator, 17K Drive Head, Digital Torque Indicator
- Challenge/Unique Aspect: The challenge this project presented was that the waler was installed on the vinyl sheets at the bottom of the tide-line on the bay. This required that the install be performed on the outgoing tide and at low tide, providing only a few hours to work. Fortunately, the helicals could be installed quickly through the organic layer before reaching hard, deadpan sand.
- Engineer/Architect: Mott MacDonald
- General Contractor: Wickberg Marine
- Installer: Vaspoli Builders Inc.