An oil tank ruptured beneath an in-law suite (cottage) behind the main home. The homeowner had the option of tearing the cottage down or supporting it and re-mediating the soil. Helical piers were used to support the structure while the remediation contractor worked underneath the building, removing the contaminated soil and saving the cottage from the wreaking ball.
- Helical Pile Type: 1.5″ Square Shaft with 6″ cased grout column
- # of Helical Piles: 12
- Location: Ocean Grove, NJ
- Installation Depth: 20′
- Ultimate Pile Capacity: 30 Kips
- Equipment Used: Toro Dingo, 6K Drive Head, Marian Torque Indicator
- Challenge/Unique Aspect: What was thought to be a near impossible feat, to save the cottage, was accomplished in one day thanks to the skill and experience of Curren Environmental, environmental remediation contractors. Utilizing specialized equipment, a 6″ cased grout column helped stiffened the above-grade supporting piles and provided the lateral stability necessary so the remediation work could proceed underneath the cottage.
- Installation Contractor: Curren Environmental, Inc.