Casablanca Bakery was required to add a waste grease collection tank outside of their bakery in order for safe disposal of fryer grease. It was to be built ten feet below existing grade (parking lot). The original design was slab on grade. Due to weak soils revealed during a subsurface investigation, helical piles were recommended by the engineer as a quick, minimally invasive way to provide a deep foundation system.
- Helical Pile Type: 2875.203 Wall Helical Piles
- # of Helical Piles: 6
- Location: Revere, MA
- Installation Depth: 20-25 Feet
- Ultimate Pile Capacity: 32 Kips
- Equipment Used: 12K drive head, Cat 305 excavator, Marian torque indicator
- Challenge/Unique Aspect: The contractor was installing the piles in an excavated hole that was 10 feet deep. They were able to connect a 7′ lead and a 7′ extension and install one 14 foot length, from grade eliminating down time for bolted connections while speeding the installation.
- Engineer/Architect: Advanced Concepts Engineering Group
- General Contractor: Mark E. Construction