A new home was being built on the beach in Queens (Broad Channel), New York.The property was in a V-zone which required a piling system that could provide compression and tension loads and deal with possible uplift and scouring due to a storm surge. Helicals are as effective in tension as they are in compression.
- Helical Pile Type: 1.5″ Square Shaft Helical Pile
- # of Helical Piles: 99
- Location: Queens, NY
- Installation Depth: 15′
- Ultimate Pile Capacity: 55 Kips
- Equipment Used: Cat 305, PENGO RS7 Drive, Digital Torque Indicator
- Challenge/Unique Aspect: This job was originally specified for timber piles. However, timber piles could not meet the tension requirements that the helical piles/anchors could provide.
- General Contractor: Moore Group